Consider the work of God: who can make straight what He has made crooked? In the day of prosperity be joyful, BUT in the day of adversity consider that God has made the one side by side with the other, so that man may not find out anything that shall be after him. Ecclesiastes 7:13, 14
Believe it or not, God makes some things c-r-o-o-k-e-d on purpose, and you are WASTING YOUR TIME if you try to straighten them out. I’ve tried. The results are about the same as spittin’ into the wind.
So, if I could go back in time (which, btw, I have NO desire to do), and have a frank talk with myself (like I don’t already talk to myself), THIS is (some) of what I would say:
- Honey, relax. If your children get to high school (and I know that’s an “if”), they will NOT be in diapers. (I thought we would never get through potty-training.)
- Yes, God knew EXACTLY what He was doing when He assigned each child (regardless of temperament, talents, or disabilities) to you, to parent.
- Don’t freak out when your mother, who you greatly admire, declares none of her children were anything like this. God didn’t give them to her.
- I know you don’t think you need to change, but you do. And wonder of wonders, this husband, this child, this season of life, is going to help you change.
- Remember: Jesus saves. Not education.
- No matter what anyone says, there is no one “right” way to educate a child.
- Welcome to war. There is no AWOL, so quit looking for an out. Make it count – ask God for ALL the spoils.
- You will need help, so get over it, humble yourself, and ask. Lone Rangers do not last long.
- Suffering comes to EVERYONE. (I thought if I did enough right, I could avoid pain. Wrong.)
- Sweetie, God is perfect goodness, so His plan for you is perfectly good. It is never, ever pointless pain.
- There are RICHES in this dark place. Mine those treasures, girl.
- God will NOT fail you or your children. Ever.
- Sometimes you WILL feel BETRAYED by God, but it will never be true.
- I know you think this will never happen, but when you see the end results, you will completely AGREE with His choices for your life!
- You can (and will) live without everything you THINK you need (marriage, friends, children, good reputation, being understood, predictability) but you cannot live without GOD and His Word.
Live and learn. I know I am preaching to the choir….